Monday, August 25, 2008

Interview with New York Knight GM Alex Shabalov


Interview with Debut New York Knight Alex Shabalov

EV: Hey, can I interview you about the Knights?

AS: I’d say it’s too early for the interview, and I don’t mean in the day...

I decide to ignore his refusal.
EV: How do you expect your performance to compare to that of your predecessor, Nakamura?

AS: I compare myself to no other. My performances are unique… in the best sense of this word.

EV: What’s your record against Wednesday’s opponent, Jorge Sammour-Hasbun?

AS: Maybe there were some draws, but ... I don’t remember them.

EV: And the wins and losses?

AS: I don’t know, 20-0? Something like that.

EV: Really?

AS: (shrugs) I don’t know. He’s not playing for a long time.

EV: How do you rate your teammates' chances?

AS: It’s hard for me to estimate that, as obviously I could give a simul to the entire Boston team. I expect total Knights domination on boards 1-4. We have so much depth. Our bench is uncomparable to the other teams in the league.

EV: Of everyone in the league, who are you most looking forward to playing?

AS: I want to play cornfield boy Jaan Ehlvest from Tennessee. Jaan found his roots, literally, and ... yeah, literally. He’s an Estonian peasant, and he likes his pork salty.

I want to play… it’s unfortunate I cannot play Jay Bonin, we’re on the same team, but that would be my dream come true.

EV: As Game of the Year Judge, you were known for your irreverent nicknames. What do you hope to be called?

AS: LeBron James was called “Little Emperor” during the Beijing Games. But how dominating was he, really? So just call me “Emperor.”

EV: What do you think of the current USCF-lawsuit-Sloan-Truong disaster?

AS: I wouldn’t call it a disaster. In my opinion, the atmosphere where everybody sues everybody is the perfect working climate for the USCF. When everyone knows every footstep is being watched, that might lead to new heights for American Chess.
(sings) Rock me, rock me … Amadeus, Amadeus…
I would compare the Fake Sam Sloan to Robin Hood...

EV: In what way? They both wear a mask?

AS: They both wear tights! Or maybe there’s some other heroical figure, like Rip Van Winkle…

Is Van der Morsel on the Chicago team? That’s who I want to play. I want to play a morsel… (sings) … morsel…morsel….

EV: As a board member of the Association of Chess Professionals, what advice would you give the USCF management?

I think the USCF has too many things going on at once. I think they should just concentrate on one thing at a time, for example, blind chess. Just focus on that for two years. This way, no resources are wasted on ungrateful Olympiad teams or the US Championship. And then, in a few more years, the USCF can have a convention in Hawaii again.

EV: And what advice would you give to Greg Shahade and the USCL?

AS: I think he should add an all-girls team and a second gay team. These must be the two expansion teams for 2009. LA will have to wait.

EV: Do you have any goals for your USCL debut season?

AS: I want to be seeded into the finals.

EV: Seeded? You or the Knights?

AS: Just the New York team, unopposed.

EV: Wait, do you have to play the final?

AS: No, we seeded and we unopposed.

19 comments:

Bionic Lime said...

You guys make a good comedy team -- you should do commentary together on ICC for some event!

Tennessee Tempo said...

I can't believe Alex passed up my multiple attempts to get him to come play in Tennessee...and for what? New York City?! Jaan would crush Shaba' if only there were a NY vs. Tennessee match in the schedule!d

Anonymous said...

maybe in the finals todd?

Unknown said...

now THAT is how you do an interview.. .flawless victory....

Anonymous said...

What were you smoking... and where can I get some?

Anonymous said...

"Obviously I could give a simul to the entire Boston team."

We'll see... whatever happens, he'll still be bald.

-Matt

Anonymous said...

I also would like to find out where Shaba gets his Hashish( i want his digits) considering he couldnt beat the lone Chrissy Bear(Chris Williams), bd 4 for the Boston team. I

Anonymous said...

I also would like to find out where Shaba gets his Hashish( i want his digits) considering he couldnt beat the lone Chrissy Bear(Chris Williams), bd 4 for the Boston team. I

Anonymous said...

Lizzy,
Dump shaba and go out with someone whose face doesn't look like the backside of an elephant... my face is not elephant-like at all, by the way...

Elizabeth Vicary said...

He's beautiful inside.

Anonymous said...

I guess he is only 20-1 now vs Hasbun

Anonymous said...

Eat your words Shaba!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Elizabeth for posting this interview, giving us even more incentive to (once again) crush NY!

We all appreciate it.

-Matt

Anonymous said...

So much for New York having a good team...
They need to call the police after being beaten that badly

Anonymous said...

Boston is cruel to make of fun of Shabas baldness, then again, there is always rogaine....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tony Cortizas, Jr. said...

Great photo, Liz. And funny interview.

Anonymous said...

Shaba beat Jorge 20 times and Jorge wins once and there is so much uproar, get real people.