Sunday, November 7, 2010

photos and positions from children, thoughts about my game with Brad

 Kenneth Martin (1551), almost won the tournament, and was proud to finish 3rd (overheard on the train home: "I keep thinking my trophy is a single bar trophy, but then I reach down to feel the double bars...")

Teraab Feaster, 1234, who tied for first in the Intermediate (under 1500) section, watches Anita's game.

 Maya McGreen was disappointed in her result today, but she's playing 3 more tournaments in the next week: the Right Move (which her parents run) today, CIS's Columbus Day tournament Thursday, and the Marshall G/60 on Saturday.

Spike and Kevin joke around before their games. 

Carlos

puzzles from student games


1. Shanniah is black. How could she have won a pawn?

2. She is white here, and this time she can win a piece.

3. Alex B is black against Ashanti M. What should he have played?


4. Michael Peguero was a star of the IS 318 chess team 3-5 years ago, when he went from 0 to 1900 in 2.5 years. Along the way, he won the national under 750 section and tied for 2nd in the k-8 open. He now works for the school on Saturdays, helping me go over student games. Michael comes from a family of 7 brothers, most of whom are named after archangels. His youngest brother, Ariel, is now in 6th grade and was black in the above position. How could he have won a piece?

answers

1. 1... Nxd3+ 2. Qxd3 Bxf4
2. 15. Bxc6+ bxc6 16. Qh5+ and Qxg5
3. 1... Nxd4! 2. Qxd4 (2. Bxe7 Nxf3 3. Bxd8 Nxd2 4. Bxb6 Nxb6 5. Rxd2 Nc4 6. Re2 Kd7

Black has not won a pawn in this variation, but is much better because his central pawns are strong , while white's h pawn and queenside pawns are potentially weak. Black has a plan of doubling rooks on the h file to attack the pawns, and then playing ...f6 and ... g5 to force h5. After h5, black transfers his rooks to the f file and invades on f4: 7. b3 Nd6 8. h4 Rh6 9. f4 Rah8 10. Reh2 f6 11. Kd2 g5 12. fxg5 fxg5 13. h5 Rf8 14. Re1 Rf4 15. Rg2 g6 16. hxg6 Rxg6 17. a4 Rh6 18. Reg1 Rh4) 2... Bxg5+ 3. Nxg5 Qxg5+

4. ...Qa5+ wins the bishop



I keep thinking about two moments from my game against Braden Bournival, and how they are very typical examples of my chess weaknesses
This is the end of my knowledge of theory. I had a game with Bill Paschal 4 or 5 years ago that went 14...Qc8 and then I played either 15. Qf3 or 15. Qe4, I couldn't remember which, but it was the wrong move, whichever it was. That's why I played 15. Qc6+ after 14...Be7: because in comparison with my first game Brad hadn't prevented the check, and I went after the d pawn immediately because, I don't know, secretly I don't like being down a pawn?  I notice that I play inflexibly when I think there is a right idea in the position, my mind closes up and I let my (correct or incorrect) knowledge of a position trump thinking about it for myself.

I now move my queen four times in a row.  

Notice how nothing has changed in my position, but black has developed his bishop, got his king off the e file, and played ..f5. I'm expecting Brad to take the pawn on b2-- it's a very important pawn if I have any thought of playing an endgame, mostly because without it, the c pawn is so weak. 

But he doesn't, he plays 18...Rg8. 

Now, I absolutely 100% should play 19. Rb1 here, then 20. b3, then Rd1. But somehow, and I think being a chess teacher has made me more this way, in my head I'm in the midst of some narrative about how I'm playing boldly and vigorously, sacking a pawn on principle. I'm unwilling to play little, ugly, necessary moves out of egotism. I went on to lose insipidly. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the 1,000th time:
When you "sack" a quarterback, you spell it S-A-C-K because it's short for ranSACK. When you "sac" a pawn, you spell it S-A-C because it's short for SACrifice.
(Note: When you "sack" potatoes, it's spelled S-A-C-K because you put them into a sack.)

Ron Young said...

I never knew that; about the etymology of quarterback sacks. Pretty cool fact. I'm glad I came here. I did know that Zenyatta the horse was named after the Police album, though.

I have some similar weaknesses, I think (chess-wise; I do know how to spell "sac") BUT once I made the first mistake and knew I wasn't playing an immortal masterpiece, I'd have found it easier to stop for grubby protection. I guess that's what makes me better than you.

ben daswani said...

dearest anonymous

she said "sacking," not "sac." when you add an -ing to a verb ending in c you add a k first. some words with which most people are familiar are panicking, frolicking, picnicking, mimicking, trafficking etc

english is a difficult language and there's no shame in not understanding something but to avoid being an idiot i'd suggest not posting patronising corrections unless you're sure you're correct

Victoria Kirby said...

Nice analysis of your game with Brad, wanted to hear your perspective on his infamous rap insulting Irina Krush and all women in general. I've come to know you as someone who always stands up for women and especially when we are victims of unprovoked misogynistic or sexist attacks. Thanks Liz

Elizabeth Vicary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.