- Rooks love open files and the seventh rank.
- Don't move the same piece twice in the opening until you've developed all your pieces (unless you have a really good reason!)
- Capablanca's Rule: When you are up the exchange in an endgame, sometimes the easiest way to win is to sac the exchange back for a pawn.
- In endgames, opposite colored bishops increase drawing chances. But in middlegames, they increase the winning chances of the attacking side.
- When you are ahead material, exchange big pieces, but don't trade off all the pawns. When you are behind in material, trade pawns but not big pieces.
Friday, October 21, 2011
know any good chess rules?
I'm making a bulletin board for my classroomm of useful "rules of thumb" in chess. For example: