Tuesday, August 7, 2012

adults and children

I am thrilled to tell you that my video, IM Greg Shahade vs. 10 year old chess master has over 50,000 views!

I am less thrilled to tell you that Chess in the Schools has kicked IS 318 out of their program (after fifteen years). I have no idea why. Their stated reason is that we are too successful. (?!)

In June, I had heard rumors from three different people (including one eighth grader) that this was going to happen, so I called my friend Shaun Smith, Chess in the Schools Vice President. He gave me his word, emphatically, insistently, over and over, that he had heard nothing about any plans to drop us and the rumors were completely unfounded.

One week later, after school is out, they sent us a letter saying we are out of the program.


Back to happy, I have been working hard on organizing my files and preparing some teachery materials for the Brooklyn Castle website. The first document, Advice for Teachers, has a number of google docs links within it that link to other word documents and chessbase files. The (much shorter) Advice for Parents has some ideas for setting up a club. I hope it is useful to you and appreciate any feedback you have for me!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any logic to this given this rewards producing partnership?

Anonymous said...

This stuff is really, really good. I'll be using some of it with my HS team this year. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I thought Chess in the Schools doesn't kick schools out of their program....shocking!

Jeff said...

This is excellent work and it is wonderful when great chess teachers share years of experience. I hope if anyone uses your material they send you feedback. I can't stand it when people "borrow" openly shared ideas but never let the "sharer" know.

Elizabeth Vicary said...

Thanks anon and Jeff. I'm honored if anyone else wants to use my material. Teaching is not a competition: we're all trying to help kids, and they all deserve the best education we can provide. I think it's important to remember that in the hypercompetitive scholastic chess world, and to behave as an adult, with the maturity, good humor, and grace that Greg demonstrates so clearly in the video.

Anonymous said...

Very well thought out work. This will be helpful for my better students. Thank you for all your effort and sharing! I am definitely interested in the Chess in the Schools decision. Maybe they voted themselves a raise and it had to come from somewhere.....
Thanks again,
Ed

Anonymous said...

Maybe Chess in the Schools dropped you because they are changing there name to Chess out of the Schools?

gurdonark said...

Greg Shahade shows a lot of class.

I hope that you find lots of funding, even without Chess in the Schools support.