Friday, October 19, 2007

The Recent Comments Attacking Me Are....

... hilarious!
You should read them all in the "I could beat their reporter" post and the interview with Irina.
"Peter Cunningham" recently demanded to know why I wasn't responding. I'm truly sorry about this. I just didn't know what it was possible to say to:

"She may very well be a nigger hater. Who knows?"
Good point.

or

"Just remember that Mussolini liked to bully other kids in school when he was a kid and some historians say that that was the beginnings of Fascism in Italy."

I may also be an Italian dictator. Who knows?

But my posting friend gets weirder and weirder:
"Did you hear?!?? Lizzie Vicary has a hole in her leg!!! That's why she dresses so conservatively at chess tournaments!! "

ummm... ?! I have a hole in my leg?? What drugs are you on?
I honestly thought the whole thing was a marginally successful attempt at absurdist humor until I was challenged to "fight back face to face like a man verbally blow by blow in your face like men do" and called a "yellow bellied coward" for not doing so.

But that doesn't sound like much fun to me, and since
a) it's not my job to be nice to total strangers at chess tournaments
b) I'm not really all that sensitive about my body
c) I didn't invent the FIDE rules for women's titles
d) I'm not a man
I don't think ... I need to?!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cute!

Anonymous said...

The comments attacking Ms.Vicary are random nastiness and completely inapproriate. I think labeling them "hilarious", even if Ms. Vicary believes so, is not the best approach; many female players are subject to such commentary and feel hurt and uncomfortable. Please stop now. And Ms. Vicary, even if it's not an issue for you, please don't blow it off as amusing because it is not funny or acceptable.

Elizabeth Vicary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Vicary said...

Well, the thing is that it's not so unusual. People have said much worse things about me in chessninja or the amazon reviews to Chess Bitch (they aren't there anymore). It's just part of the chess world-- people are nasty. And it's not just because I'm female-- all kinds of people are randomly attacked on messageboards. The simple truth is that if I'm going to have a blog, it's going to happen.

So if I don't want to get upset each time someone says something nasty about me, I find it easiest to treat it like it's just funny. Once you start looking at the comments that way, it's pretty easy to do.

Anonymous said...

of course dont get upset-the comments are downright ridiculous and you should laugh at them. but it feels as though by saying its hilarious and encouraging others to read them, it feels like you're saying it's okay and keep doing it. we're all laughing privately, but for those who are posting the nasty remarks and dont get it, i would be clear and say it's hurtful (even if it isnt to you) and that such comments add to the unfortunately already significant degree of meanness in the chess world and elsewhere.

Elizabeth Vicary said...

I doubt the person posting is unaware that the comments are hurtful.

Anonymous said...

looking back on my comments, i realize ms.vicary was right all along.

Bill Brock said...

At yesterday's Illinois Chess Association banquet, several people said they enjoyed reading your blog.

So there.

Elizabeth Vicary said...

Thanks Bill! That makes my day.

Anonymous said...

Shes cute!

Anonymous said...

She hates puppies!

Elizabeth Vicary said...

That's true. Sometimes I hide dead puppies in the hole in my leg.

Anonymous said...

Hello E.V.

I was wondering if are dating anyone? I thought I would ask you that before I ask you out.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Choose me I'm much more awesome than "anonymous". Yes I too am "anonymous" but trust me I would make a great boyfriend and I don't care about the dead puppies!

Elizabeth Vicary said...

I'm very flattered, anonymous 1 and 2, thanks. But I'm seeing someone and I'm crazy about him.

Anonymous said...

Would you have a change of heart perhaps for Anonymous #3?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.