Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bxd4 is like a Guatemalan SINKHOLE

A massive sinkhole covers a street intersection in downtown Guatemala City. Officials blamed the heavy rains for the crater, which swallowed a three-story building. Last April 2007, another giant sinkhole in the same area killed 3 people. read more

The rest of my game with Nigel (see last post)
15....Bxd4
16. Rxc8 Rxc8
17. Bxd4 Nf4
18. Nf6+! (dammit) Kf8 I just couldn't help myself. I was sure I deserved to win, and so I rejected 18...gxf6 19. Qg4+ Ng6 20. Bxf6 Qf4 as not good enough.
19. Nxh7 Ke7
20. Qe4 Qxd4
21. Qxb7+ Kd8
22. Qxf7 and I played on of course and tried some nice tricks, but Nigel fell for nothing. clever children.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's odd about the sinkhole, because recently an extended drought in my area caused a giant tubular column of dirt to rise up out of the ground.

LinuxGuy said...

...Rfd8 or ...Rc6 looked like possibilities.

After...Bxd4(?), I would play BxB...Nf4, Qf3. If QxBd4, Rcd1 and there goes the knight on f4 (White still has Rfe1, if needed).

Not sure what I am supposed to be missing. Maybe you just like this kid. ;-)

Elizabeth Vicary said...

I can play Qc4 to keep my knight?

(FM)Charless said...

is that what not knowing endgames looks like>? :)

Mike Klein said...

congrats on your blog's mention in NIC!

Elizabeth Vicary said...

omg really?

Elizabeth Vicary said...

please would someone tell me when and how and by whom I'm mentioned? I'm so thrilled in advance.

LinuxGuy said...

..Qc4, Ne5..Qc7, QxN..f6,Re7..QxN,QxQ..fxQ, Rxb7. Talk about fantasy variation. hehe. I wonder if that is a draw or not, probably is.

Still, I never would have suspected ...Bxd as being playable. :-)

There is also after Ne5..Ne2+, Kh1 when ..Qa6 is out of play, ..Qc2, Rd7 or ..Nd4, Qe3 seems to drop the knight again.

Not sure about all this, naturally. Must be some holes in some of this, but it's interesting.