Thursday, July 30, 2009

abstinence, yams

Researchers tracked a random sampling of students who received an abstinence-only education, like those in the popular "None for Me!" lunch program at Woodbridge High School in Chicago, which encourages children to abstain from eating until after graduation.

"Although these students were repeatedly warned about the evils of eating and made to take fasting pledges, the abstinence-only program did little to curb their overall appetite for food," the report read in part. "In fact, students at Woodbridge were nearly three times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than children who were given a portion of meat, whole grains, and green vegetables, and then encouraged to skip dessert."

"I'm never ever going to eat, because eating is wrong, and I'm worth more than a chicken sandwich with asparagus and rice pilaf," Woodbridge seventh-grader Tracey Holmes said. "I heard Jennifer Hines eats all the time, like 50 times a day. I heard she eats all her ice cream upside-down, though, so she doesn't get fat. That's how it works."

"It's really hard, though," Holmes added. "I get so hungry sometimes. Especially after hours and hours of unprotected sex."

(more)

I took the new camera for a grocery shopping walk.


These are my friendly auto mechanic/ grillmaster neighbors.

9 comments:

Bionic Lime said...

I thought the yams were a huge litter of newly born piglets.

Anonymous said...

I made it my new desktop image...

Elizabeth Vicary said...

awesome

Montreal Meany said...

I had some Chinese takeout a while ago. An hour later, I had not forgotten that I'd eaten. Maybe it was the beetle that made it memorable. I guess they must have accidentally given me one of those secret authentic off-menu dishes that they normally save for the true connoisseur.

Matan said...

The yams made me think of the book "Arrow of God" that I was subjected to in AP English. I still have no idea what it was about, something about yams probably.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I know Abby Marshall is your friend and I am rooting for her to become the first female to win the Denker. At USCF 2199, Master is only 1 point away.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Chess themed umbrella I see.

Anonymous said...

nice tomatos

ATH2044 said...

Nice pictures, you can almost read the UPC bar codes on those tomato labels! Now I presume you're taking this thing & maybe an extra memory stick or two to Thailand when you go there (really soon), so you can come back with some decent high resolution images of all the neat stuff most of us will never get to see in person, rather than some kind of lame excuse as to why you didn't take any photos.