Tuesday, September 15, 2009

this week the team is somewhat unfocused

first board Alex Stripunsky

Dima, dejected

Andrei Zaremba: this time, no ice coffee



teammates Shaun Smith and Ben Katz


Okay, so I played badly. I don't want to talk about it. But two things cheered me up:

1. the Dallas - Boston match. I laughed every time I thought about it today.

2. The court's rejection of the SEC -BoA settlement. All I can say: HOT DAMN.
("It is not fair, first and foremost, because it does not comport with the more elementary notions of justice and morality
....
Overall, indeed, the parties' submissions, when carefully read, leave the distinct impression that the proposed Consent Judgment was a contrivance designed to provide the S. E. C. with the facade of enforcement and the management of the Bank with the quick resolution of an embarrassing inquiry -- all at the expnse of the sole alleged victims, the shareholders.
...
Nor is the proposed Consent Judgment reasonable. Obviously, a proposal that asks victims to pay a fine for having been victimized is, for all the reasons already given, as unreasonable as it is unfair.
...
It is quite something else for the very management that is accused of having lied to its shareholders to determine how much of those victims' money should be used to make the case against the management go away.
Judge's Rejection of S.E.C.-Bank of America Settlement























and finally... pictures of my 318 students!!

Azeez Alade

and his sister, Azeeza Alade!!

James Black


Joel Ogunremi

Justus Williams

Maya McGreen

Myles Foster and D'Andrea Dey

Nigel Bryant (I can tell them apart already!)


Randy Rivera and Rashawn Williams

13 comments:

Mark Ginsburg said...

Your team has gotta upgrade Stripunsky from those proletariat folding chairs.

Anonymous said...

so are you saying that the bryant twins are part of the 318 roster? or did they just come to visit

Gurdonark said...

Interesting to watch your sharp anti-Colle approach, although things did not turn out so well.

The Dallas result is great, because life should be designed so that trash talk is so amply rewarded.
It's the kind of thing that is even lesson-to-learn-from-kids caliber.

I am marveling that when I played Darwin Yang in 2005 he was ranked 1500 something and now he is 2300 something. That's from age 9 to age 13 or so, but still--to take chess seriously enough to jump that many points in that short a time. Impressive. If I remember right, I won from the black side of a Slav. I am certain I would not win now.

Thanks for sharing the BOA decision.

Anonymous said...

azeez and azeea look like twins

Anonymous said...

That stark red room cannot be good for concentration.

Anonymous said...

Why are you laughing at my poor misfortune?

-Matt

Elizabeth Vicary said...

The Bryant twins now go to 318, yes.

The red room doesn't really hurt my concentration, but it does make me angry. Or maybe that's losing all my games.

Matt -- because Ilya is on your team, I guess. Does that seem unreasonable?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

are azeez and azeez twins or do they just look really really alike.
also who looks more alike them or the bryant twins

Elizabeth Vicary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Vicary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Vicary said...

Azeez and Azeeza look v similar but aren’t twins. The real question is “who looks more alike, the Bryant twins or the McGreen twins (Maya and Mariah)?”